[Biojava-dev] bit rot in biojavax with regards to biosql

Michael Heuer heuermh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 02:32:53 UTC 2014

Hello,

Are any of the folks responsible for biojavax biosql in biojava-legacy
still around on the list?

I tried in vain recently to use biosql with biojava-legacy following
the documentation here

http://biojava.org/wiki/BioJava:BioJavaXDocs#BioSQL_persistence.

To begin, this method

RichObjectFactory.connectToBioSQL(session);

as described in the example here

http://biojava.org/wiki/BioJava:BioJavaXDocs#Complete_example.

is missing from the current API.  Then all the hibernate stuff is very
out-of-date (pre-JPA even) and once I worked around the missing method
above I ran into a lot of trouble with mappings when trying to write
to biosql and also when trying to read from biosql.

I hate to say it but Biopython worked wonderfully both directions. :)

   michael