[Biojava-dev] Biojava Structure and its derivatives are PDB centered

Spencer Bliven sbliven at ucsd.edu
Mon Dec 9 23:05:19 UTC 2013

Amr-

Yes, the Structure>Chain>Group>Atom data structure defined by BioJava
contains concepts used in the PDB format, but that doesn't mean that a new
implementation is needed to write a MOL2 parser. For instance, each
MOLECULE could be used to create a model in the biojava Structure
containing a single chain and group for the ligand. (I'm not sure whether
there are conventions for protein-sized structures in MOL2, all the
examples I've seen are for small ligands.) The intent of separating Atom
from AtomImpl was primarily to provide a pure interface for the API, not
necessarily to allow different concepts of how to organize 3D points into a
meaningful system. Any new file parsers should use the existing data
structures.

-Spencer