[Biojava-dev] how to contribute via github

Michael Heuer heuermh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 16:43:00 UTC 2013

All,

I have a few things that need doing and am looking for advice on how
best to proceed:

 - update guava dependency from version 11.0.1 --> version 14.0, needs
to happen in both biojava & biojava-legacy repos

 - add new functionality to biojava-sequencing module in
biojava-legacy and biojava3-sequencing module in biojava

 - prepare poms in biojava-legacy for next release (some of which
might also be applicable to biojava)

In contributor role:

1) create an issue on biojava/biojava
2) create a feature branch on my fork heuermh/biojava
3) commit changes to feature branch on heuermh/biojava
4) push changes to feature branch on heuermh/biojava to github
5) issue pull request on biojava/biojava referring to issue #

In developer role:

5) clone devel branch of biojava/biojava
6) merge pull request to devel branch of biojava/biojava locally
7) push merged changes to devel branch of biojava/biojava back to github
8) mark issue as closed

Back in contributor role:

?  delete feature branch
?  fetch/rebase/pull from upstream to fork

I'm still fuzzy on some of these, e.g. the feature branch on my fork
should branch off devel not off the default.  What about feature
branches on biojava/biojava?

I have tried to follow this before

http://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/discussion/2129/gatk-development-process-and-coding-standards

but I get lost.  It appears that they are not using forks?

   michael