[Biojava-dev] Github available

Spencer Bliven sbliven at ucsd.edu
Wed Apr 3 18:55:24 UTC 2013

The source to biojava3 is available on github! See
https://github.com/biojava/biojava. Sorry about the delays–it was more
difficult than I expected. I am still working on the legacy source, and
should have that repository converted soon.

You can get a clone via the commandline:

  git clone -b devel https://github.com/biojava/biojava.git

Remember, *DON'T USE THE 'RELEASE' BRANCH*! Any commits there should be
considered full biojava releases. To add new features, please create a new
feature branch from  'devel', make your changes, and then merge back into
'devel'. Hopefully the branch names should make this clear. Note that there
is no 'master' branch. This is deliberate, to avoid ambiguity. Make sure
your tools are set up to use the right branch when cloning. I've set
'release' as the default branch so that new users will get stable code by
default, so us developers need to make sure we're doing the right thing!

I am actively working on updating the documentation on the wiki to reflect
the new location. I could use some help on this if anyone has time to
contribute. As a start, here's a page on using Git in Eclipse (
http://biojava.org/wiki/BioJava3_eclipse), and here's documentation of the
migration process (http://biojava.org/wiki/SVN_to_GIT_Migration).

To check that your github account was properly linked, find an old commit
and check that the author links to your github account. Old commits
currently do not show up in your contribution activity, but I am hoping
that it will appear after the github servers have time to index the new
repo. I haven't added everyone as contributors yet, but will do so shortly.

The git repository contains all the history after biojava moved from Ant to
Maven (r7227). There was a major code rearrangement at this point that
could not be automatically resolved by git-svn due to the early version of
SVN the old repository used. Most branches were started before this point,
so they were also not converted to git. The SVN server is still up in
read-only mode in case we need to access the old history or migrate old
branches. Please let me know if this is a concern for anyone.

Thanks for your patience through the process!

-Spencer