[Biojava-dev] Fwd: [Biojava-l] Port an Algorithm to Java

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Wed Apr 4 16:26:34 UTC 2012

I think it really depends on the use case. I recently added FATCAT and
CE, two prominent protein structure alignment algorithms to the
biojava-structure module. While doing so some caching layers and
support for multi-threaded and distributed calculations were added.
Also standard Java tricks like allowing objects to be serializable,
using beans etc. were useful additions. The end product allowed me to
run 1 billion protein structure alignments on jobs spread across
multiple datacenters and heterogenous hardware architectures. This
would not have been straightforward at all using the original C
code...

Andreas