[Biojava-dev] GSOC amino acids physico-chemical properties calculation project questions

Peter Troshin p.v.troshin at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Apr 7 10:14:54 UTC 2011

Hi Krzysztof,

Thank you for your interest in the project. I am sorry I have not
replied to you earlier. This is because I did not get your email.

Point 1:
Good understanding of Chemistry it required to complete this project.
Search biojava-I archives http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biojava-l
I think I provided a bit more detailed answer for this question there.

Point 2:
What matters here is to demonstrate how well you can independently break
down a large task into smaller manageable ones whose order and
description make sense, and which conceivably culminate into the project
deliverable. Also you need to demonstrate that you understand the
subject, in particular, dig out the formulas you would use for
calculations, or provide the references that you would use.
Again more on that you can find in my answers to other guys posted to
the biojava-l.
Finally, have a look the winning proposals from previous years.

Point 3:
3) Are all possible algorithms that are needed on the list in project
idea page? What if somebody possibly, finish implementing all the
algorithms before GSOC finishes?
That would be grand! Seriously, I expect you to extend the idea and
include other related calculations that you or the BioJava community
find useful. Basically you should plan your work in a way that you did
not run out of the tasks earlier then the end of GSoC.

I hope this answers your questions.

Good luck with your application,
Regards,
Peter