[Biojava-dev] Google Summer of Code 2011

Krzysztof Ropiak krzysztof.ropiak at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 19:58:42 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am one of surely many students intrested in participating in BioJava
project (amino acids calculations) during Google Summer of Code. I've
got few questions about applying to BioJava. I am intrested in "Amino
acids physico-chemical properties calculation" project, like Nirmal.
Actually, I already sent similar email here more than week ago, before I
realized I have to subscribe first :).

1) Do you want potential student to have real biology (physics,
chemistry too) knowledge? Or programming skills is all you need, because
all knowledge needed can be acquired before coding starts?

2) Part of applying is giving some plan for 12 weeks of participating.
The truth is that on project idea page, there is list of some algorithms
to be implemented. Should I simply give some kind of timeline for these
3 months and dates-deadlines for implementing each algorithm. Is there
anything else that is important and should be included in proposal?

3) Are all possible algorithms that are needed on the list in project
idea page? What if somebody possibly, finish implementing all the
algorithms before GSOC finishes?

Krzysztof Ropiak