[Biojava-dev] Changes to Sequence in BioJava3

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Nov 3 15:42:41 UTC 2010

Hi George,

The reason why the method name was called reverse() was to do "the right thing" when it came to a reverse of a Sequence. If the compound set supported complementing (as in DNA) then the right thing to get the reverse strand would be to return CGCA. If the method was called getReverseComplement() then what would that mean for those Sequences (peptides) which never had a complementing compound? The method has to apply to all levels of the Sequence interface for it to make sense.

If people can suggest a better name ( opposingStrand() would be on the right tracks) to indicate this state i.e.

DNA -> TGCG.opposingStrand() -> CGCA
PEP -> MVKV.opposingStrand() -> VKVM

Regards,

Andy

--
Andrew Yates                   Ensembl Genomes Engineer
EMBL-EBI                       Tel: +44-(0)1223-492538