[Biojava-dev] biojava 3 progress

Scooter Willis HWillis at scripps.edu
Wed Mar 17 15:52:01 UTC 2010

Andy

Working on it at the moment. I am starting with some code I have been using from JavaGene that has a fairly good handle of gff parsing and handling negative strands. I am migrating to a new project called biojava3-genes(local only at the moment) where code related to gff parsing and dealing with various gene prediction program outputs can be used. I need to create a training file for GlimmerHMM so the short term goal is to take a XML blast output of predicted genes that match uniprot and then extract the exon features from DNASequences with exon features added from a gff file. I will then use these validated exon features to create the GlimmerHMM training file. The complexity of exon features with negative strand and frame shifts with the ability to splice together a coding sequence is probably the most complicated feature example we will encounter. After I get through that I will see what can be extended/refactored etc for other more generic features.

I also have some code to gather genome characteristics GC percent, avg gene length, etc. that can be included in the biojava3-genes module. I wanted to see if you know how Average Number of Introns per gene is calculated when a gene has no introns. Do you add a 0 to the average or only include genes with at least one intron in the average?

Can you think of a better name for a package that deals with gff,gff3 parsing and utilities to work with various gene prediction inputs/outputs?

Scooter