[Biojava-dev] First draft of a remote blast service class

Richard Holland holland at eaglegenomics.com
Thu Jun 11 14:17:35 UTC 2009

Good stuff! My 2p's worth:

setSequence() should be overloaded to accept all forms of possible
sequence input - whatever is decided on as the standard way of
referencing sequence data in BJ3. The original plan for BJ3 was to allow
String/CharSequence and List<Symbol> (see
http://www.biojava.org/wiki/BioJava3:HowTo )

setAdvancedOptions() should not accept a String, but rather a Properties
or a Map<String,String>, where the keys of the Map/Properties are
restricted to a range of acceptable values determined (and published,
maybe as an enum?) by each of the implementation classes (e.g.
RemoteQBlastService). The implementation class then uses this to
construct the call string. The reason for doing it this way is that (a)
it allows the parameters to be verified by checking them against a known
list of allowable key/values, and (b) it allows for non-URL based remote
requests to be constructed from the values, e.g. SOAP calls.

I would also replace the static int HTML/TEXT/XML with an enum as
numeric constants are sometimes a Bad Thing.

The setProgram() method in my mind is specific to Blast, as opposed to
being a generic Pairwise Alignment concept. Therefore it might be better
to move this to a Blast-specific sub-interface or make it only appear in
the implementation classes that refer to Blast.

Finally, the JavaDocs for the various set() methods are incorrect -
they're all mostly the same in fact! :)

But overall it looks good.

cheers,
Richard