[Biojava-dev] BioJava code freeze, modularization and action items for sub modules

Richard Holland holland at eaglegenomics.com
Tue Aug 25 04:32:24 UTC 2009

> What I mean is that we should try not to disrupt things as much as is
> reasonable. I am all for a pragmatic approach. While trying to be
> conservative I guess refactoring should be discussed on a case by case
> basis. To give an example: an area where I am supporting re-factoring
> is the blast parser. The package name is confusing and we probably
> need some code changes to expose more details of the parser. Are you
> thinking of any other situtations, where you think breaking backwards
> compatibility will be inevitable?

Almost all the parsers would fit this category, as would any realistic
attempt to 'fix' the sequence model by moving bits of the APIs around
(for instance, Sequences have Features which have Strands, but
Locations do _not_ have Strands - which is all wrong, because Strand
is a Location-level concept, not a Feature-level concept).

My original plan was to not even attempt to make new versions backward
compatible, and instead to have a separate module which coerced the
new objects into complying with the old API interface declarations (by
using the facade model).

cheers,
Richard