[Biojava-dev] BioJava code freeze, modularization and action items for sub modules

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Tue Aug 25 02:17:00 UTC 2009

>> Once the modules are in place it is a good moment to hand over the
>> leadership of the sub-modules to the new module-project leaders. It will be
>> up to the module-lead to take the modules into the direction that he/she
>> feels important. I would like to take this opportunity to suggest a couple
>> of people as module-leaders and propose some action items for the modules.
>> Feel free to comment or make additional suggestions...
>
> Sign me up for help with maven configuration/reporting, unit testing, and
> generics API matters if you wish.

Excellent, I will come back to you on this :-)

>>  - don;t break backwards compatibility
>
> Seems to me the last one will greatly hamper the rest of this effort.
> The next version needs to be binary compatible with 1.7?

What I mean is that we should try not to disrupt things as much as is
reasonable. I am all for a pragmatic approach. While trying to be
conservative I guess refactoring should be discussed on a case by case
basis. To give an example: an area where I am supporting re-factoring
is the blast parser. The package name is confusing and we probably
need some code changes to expose more details of the parser. Are you
thinking of any other situtations, where you think breaking backwards
compatibility will be inevitable?

Andreas