[Biojava-dev] Sequence and Feature

Micha Sammeth gmicha at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 19:28:10 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am writing a parser for aligned sequencing reads and I plan to
separate the read information (sequence, qualities) from the alignment
information by reasons of redundancy and sortings.

I planned the following classes:

Read extends AbstractChangeable implements Sequence, Qualitative

Alignment extends AbstractChangeable implements Feature

Alignment I put directly as inner class of Read, to delegate the
Feature.getSequence() directly via the outer Object. I also have sort of
alignment groups which are inserted as additional Feature in between
these two, but I think for the sketched toy example they are not important.

One doubt is: Alignment links a subpart of the read with a subpart of
the genomic sequence, which is big and probably I will never hold an
instance of it. So, getSequence() here refers to the subpart of the read
that gets aligned and I have a couple of custom attributes that annotate
the location in the genome. Is this in the philosophy of the class
hierachy design?

It would be nice if someone with a bit more experience in Biojava could
leave a comment if I go the right direction, or if there is a more
natural way to get my hierachy into biojava.

Thanks and cheers!

micha.