[Biojava-dev] biojava 3 - java version

Fabrice Jossinet f.jossinet at ibmc.u-strasbg.fr
Fri Oct 24 10:20:59 UTC 2008

Just to refresh the memory....

Major changes included in Java 6:

     * Support for older Win9x versions dropped. The last version for
Windows 98 and Windows ME is Java Runtime Environment Version 5.0
Update 16 (1.5.0.16).
     * Scripting Language Support (JSR 223): Generic API for tight
integration with scripting languages, and built-in Mozilla Javascript
Rhino integration
     * Dramatic performance improvements for the core platform, and
Swing.
     * Improved Web Service support through JAX-WS (JSR 224)
     * JDBC 4.0 support (JSR 221).
     * Java Compiler API (JSR 199): an API allowing a Java program to
select and invoke a Java Compiler programmatically.
     * Upgrade of JAXB to version 2.0: Including integration of a StAX
parser.
     * Support for pluggable annotations (JSR 269).
     * Many GUI improvements, such as integration of SwingWorker in
the API, table sorting and filtering, and true Swing double-buffering
(eliminating the gray-area effect).

Perhaps the core module can be linked to the 1.5 version. And if
someone needs, for example, the improvements of the GUI for his
module, this module will be linked to another version.

Possible or not ?