[Biojava-dev] Biojava 3 and intermolecular features

Fabrice Jossinet fjossinet at orange.fr
Tue Oct 21 19:55:47 UTC 2008

Hi all,

When I used the previous releases of biojava, i had some problems to
model inter-molecular features. For example interactions between two
sequences/molecules in a tertiary structure or the interactions
between two molecular partners in an interaction network. The feature
should be the same, shared by (at least) 2 molecules but can be
attached to different locations for each molecule.

With the current biojava model, a feature is composed of one location
for a given sequence. Consequently, for the development of my previous
software, I decided to change a little bit the biojava paradigm. For
example, to model an intermolecular interaction between the region
23-35 of mySeq1 and the region 34-46 of mySeq2 i have:

Feature myFeature = new InterMolecularInteraction();

mySeq1.addAnnotation(new Annotation(myFeature, new Location("23-35")));
mySeq2.addAnnotation(new Annotation(myFeature, new Location("34-46")));

The Annotation concept links a feature to a location and is attached
to a sequence (this concept has no relation with the Annotation
concept proposed by Biojava).

With this kind of model, I could also able to use the same concepts
and strategy to model multiple alignments, which can also be seen as a
kind of "inter-molecular relation".

Is there any plan to model these kind of features in biojava3? If no,
can my proposal be a good start ?

Fabrice

--
Dr. Fabrice Jossinet
Laboratoire de Bioinformatique, modelisation et simulation des acides

Tel + 33 (0) 3 88 417053
FAX + 33 (0) 3 88 60 22 18

f.jossinet at ibmc.u-strasbg.fr
fjossinet at gmail.com