[Biojava-dev] gaps and basis symbols

mark.schreiber at novartis.com mark.schreiber at novartis.com
Fri Oct 21 03:58:05 EDT 2005

Hello -

There seems to be a slightly strange relationship between gaps and
AlphabetManager.getGapSymbol(). If I take (for example) the
SymbolTokenization of DNA and ask it for the Symbol associated with "-" it
gives me back a BasisSymbol that is composed of a List that contains only
the GapSymbol from AlphabetManager.

This leads to the slightly weird problem that the Symbol returned !=
AlphabetManager.getGapSymbol() which is what I expected. This also causes
some curious problems with serialization that may or may not be related.
Regardless, why does the "-" token not map directly to the GapSymbol in a
singleton manner rather than mapping to the BasisSymbol composed of a List
of only the GapSymbol.

Can any biojava mystics illucidate some wisdom on this?

- Mark

Mark Schreiber
Research Investigator (Bioinformatics)

Novartis Institute for Tropical Diseases (NITD)
10 Biopolis Road
#05-01 Chromos
Singapore 138670
www.nitd.novartis.com