[Biojava-dev] Java 1.5 (final chance to object)

Sicotte, Hugues (NIH/NCI) sicotteh at mail.nih.gov
Fri Oct 7 09:59:58 EDT 2005

Last call.. OK

BioJava is one of the most turbulent bioinformatics library projects.
Much more turbulent than bioPerl or bioPython.
Often code written a few years ago does not work because older API's
get deprecated or changed. This is especially tough for people who use
BioJava
on and Off. We think two sets of API's are compatible, but there
are lots of deprecated features. We find online examples, only to find
out they no longer work.

Stability and backward compatibility are crucial to the success of BioJava.
In fact, if the code is not too complex, I often have to write it myself
rather than
relying on BioJava. I want to write code that will still be in production
5 years from now.

I say that, not because I don't appreciate the hard work of developpers,
but because I would like the volunteer developpers to appreciate that
the users of the toolkit need stability. We live in production environments
that will not support 1.5 for a long time. I am still living in a 1.3 world.
Only projects that I am starting right now can use 1.4.2_08.

I beg you, Please reconsider moving to 1.5, it's only 5% more typing to use
1.4.

Hugues Sicotte
(a user who still doesn't get to use the RegExp package in 1.4)