[Biojava-dev] Suggestions for the BioJava project

mark.schreiber at novartis.com mark.schreiber at novartis.com
Sun Aug 14 21:09:53 EDT 2005

It's probably premature to announce this but Richard Holland and I have
been working on a new object model that will pesist very easily to BioSQL.
It extends the core interfaces and miraculously doesn't break anything so
you can still use the core stuff or you can use the new models if you want
to.

For example we have the RichSequence interface which closely follows
biosql but also extends Sequence, so anywhere you can use Sequence you can
happily use a RichSequence (or just a plain old Sequence). The really cool
stuff is the work Richard has done with Hibernate. The whole of BioSQL can
now be happily transported back and forth to biojava via hibernate. It's
amazingly painless and seems to avoid many of the problems of our old SQL
system. The model is also decoupled from hibernate completely so you can
use the objects for your normal biojava stuff without ever having a
database for persistence.

We also have a NCBITaxon class to handle all the issues Andreas brought
up.

The whole thing is available from CVS under the org.biojavax.bio package.
We chose the name biojavax to be analogous to the relationship between
java and javax. The javax packages are extensions to the core java. They
improve it, they sometimes deprecate it, they use it, but they don't
replace it. The same is true for biojavax. It is not a replacement. It is
an extension that gives better functionality but still gets a lot of
milage out of biojava. Importantly, they are not seperate packages. There
is also a genetic algorithm framework under org.biojavax.ga but that's an
entirely different story : )

The biojavax packages should be considered highly unstable at the moment
as we are still working out the kinks. More later.

- Mark

Mark Schreiber
Principal Scientist (Bioinformatics)

Novartis Institute for Tropical Diseases (NITD)
10 Biopolis Road
#05-01 Chromos
Singapore 138670
www.nitd.novartis.com