[Biojava-dev] bjv2 alpha 3

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 24 09:02:02 EDT 2004

Queue brain-dump... Utility methods are primarily intended for dumb
users - dumb coder users. A different mechanism may be more appropreate
for dumb drag-n-droppers. I am assuming from what you have said that
bean editors let you do quasi-illegal things like invoking static
methods relative to instances. I've no problem with 'skinning' bjv2 for
a different user group. What if we had some magic like this:

Object tool = new ToolFactory().makeTool(Utility.class)

This returns a 1st class object with non-static methods that alias to
the static tools methods on Utility.class and is serializable - would
this help?

What's the standard pattern for exposing processes through beans? I'd
feel much happier if this level of logic was handled in a workflow
language e.g. Taverna could be adapted so that all utility classes
become processors. That way dumb d-n-d users realy don't have to look at
any of the code.