[Biojava-dev] biojava v2 alpha1 release

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 5 12:57:56 EDT 2004

Hi,

I have just committed the alpha1 release of biojava 2 (code-named
medusa) to svn. To compile & run BJV2, you will need a 1.5 java sdk, SVN
(1.0 or newer) and a reasonably up-to-date ANT. I'm releasing this
revision under lGPL. I am happy to move to another open-source license
if people feel it would be helpfull. GPL and OSL appear to be no good -
to viral. BSD and friends are no good - too easy to split/pilfer. I'm
reading through licences on http://www.opensource.org/licenses/ in the
vain hope of finding something suitable.

All bugs/questions either direct to me or to biojava-dev.

Matthew

----

Getting bjv2:

the complete thing
  http://www.derkholm.net/svn/repos/bjv2

development version
  http://www.derkholm.net/svn/repos/bjv2/trunk

alpha1 release
  http://www.derkholm.net/svn/repos/bjv2/branches/medusa

----

Things I want in the license:

1) "we" own the code - a 3rd party can't take it, change the formatting
and stop us using it

2) "you" can incorporate the library into your app. this requries you to:
  acknowledge that you use us & what license you use us under
  provide access to the source - presumably as a link to our repository

3) if "you" have modified "our" source and then distribute the
modification you must:
  notify the user that you've done this
  make the source of the modifications available under this license
  allow the modifications to be rolled back into the main copy of the
code (we may chose not to though)

4) "you" can use example code without tainting your apps with our license

5) none of this lGPL linking rubbish - what's that all about anyway?

6) "we" are not liable for anything - we don't claim the code is fit for
any purpose and if it craps out, you pay the consequences