[Biojava-dev] How to write a Blast-like parser?

Christian Gruber Christian.Gruber at biomax.com
Tue Mar 30 09:31:37 EST 2004

Hello!

I'd like to write a parser for some sequence similarity based search
programs of biological databases, for example BLIMPS etc. The idea now
was to extend BioJava, that is to write a SAX2 parser for this purpose.

So, I've looked into some org.biojava.bio.program.sax classes, and as it
seems, there are 2 classes for each program: One Facade class and one
actual parser (at least, for blast there is BlastLikeSAXParser and
BlastSAXParser, and for fasta there are FastaSearchSAXParser and
FastaSearchParser), which confuses me a bit, especially the naming of
the classes.

 From this point on, I need some guiding hand...

My question is now: When I want to write an additional parser, what
classes do I have to write, which interfaces do they have to implement
or which base classes can they extend, which functionality goes where
etc. I don't expect an elaborate answer to my question here, just a few
hints where to look first in order to help me understand properly what's
happening here. And after that, I'd need some advice how to commit my
extensions ;-)

Thank you very much!

Christian