[Biojava-dev] release 1.4 timeline

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 11:14:33 EST 2004

Michael Heuer wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Matthew Pocock wrote:
>

>>I've got the core design down as OWL in protege.
>>

>Is this for documentation purposes and/or design discussion, or do you
>have something else up your sleeve, e.g. autogenerated code?

I'm hoping we may get some benefits for this:

1) we have a conceptual model we can all refer to - UML would have done,
but our designs tend not to be UML-friendly.

2) Autogenerate some code & unit tests (using PAL extentions in Protege
to declare the constraints). Pitty Java 1.5 didn't come with assertions,
but we may be able to hack something with the code annotation features.

3) Explicitly define bindings to relational schemas e.g. biosql &
ensembl. Possibly generate some sql.

4) Investigate using RDF as the basis for querying generic biojava
objects - extending the FeatureFilter functionality to other APIs.

There's a load of interesting research to be done here, and things won't
come together first time. This is why I'm keen that there's a stable 1.4
release before any developer time is siphoned off onto a project that
may take some time to produce usefull code.

>   michael

Matthew