[Biojava-dev] Rationalisation

mark.schreiber at group.novartis.com mark.schreiber at group.novartis.com
Mon Feb 23 22:15:26 EST 2004

As you all know biojava is quite big. It currently splits itself into two
jar files (biojava.jar and grammars.jar) or three if you include the
bytecode.jar.

There have been suggestions of splitting it into subprojects. One obvious
place for a split would be biojava.jar and grammars.jar. The ant build
already achieves this artificially by splitting the code base in two.
Would it be sensible to give grammars it's own cvs home?

Other possible splits:

demos
doclets
apps

My reasoning is as follows. Projects should be merged where components
have a high level of two way dependency and seperated where there is only
one way dependency.

For example biojava depends heavily on grammars.jar but grammars.jar
doesn't care too much about the core of biojava. Demos and apps are
dependent on biojava but the reverse is not at all true. The doclets
project is a nice add on but they are pretty indenpendent of each other.
My feeling is that this would make management of the project much easier
and ant scripts simpler.

Any thoughts or flames??

- Mark

Mark Schreiber
Principal Scientist (Bioinformatics)

Novartis Institute for Tropical Diseases (NITD)
1 Science Park Road
#04-14 The Capricorn
Singapore 117528

phone +65 6722 2973