[Biojava-dev] Seeking info on users of BioJava.

mark.schreiber at group.novartis.com mark.schreiber at group.novartis.com
Thu Feb 5 02:48:21 EST 2004

Hi Steven,

Hard to know how many users there are. Thomas Down might be able to tell
you how many downloads we get (which may not be strongly correlated with
actual users).

There is a mix of commercial and academic users. I know of users in:

UK
USA
Canada
France
Spain
Germany
Switzerland
India
Singapore
China
Japan
Australia
New Zealand

There are over 1000 classes contributed by 35+ authors. There are 5 or 6
people who are most active in development. Most of the orginal code base
was developed by Matthew Pocock and Thomas Down about 5 years ago (wow was
it really that long ago!). It is distributed under the LGPL license. The
last stable release was 1.3.1, there is also a live version from CVS.

BioJava is affiliated with the Open-Bioinformatics foundation (OBF) and
cooperates with the other Bio* projects (BioPerl, BioPython, BioRuby etc).

Useful weblinks:

www.biojava.org
www.open-bio.org
http://www.biojava.org/docs/bj_in_anger/ (cookbook style documentation
with french, chinese and japanese translations).

Hope this helps,

Mark Schreiber
Principal Scientist (Bioinformatics)

Novartis Institute for Tropical Diseases (NITD)
1 Science Park Road
#04-14 The Capricorn
Singapore 117528

phone +65 6722 2973