[Biojava-dev] Re: biosql

david de beule daviddebeule at pandora.be
Sat Apr 3 08:50:36 EST 2004

"My point at the time was that querying
 location_qualifier_value every single time you obtain a location
 regardless of type is going to be a huge waste of time, given that 99%
 of locations are *not* fuzzy."

I may be wrong but I think 'BetweenLocations' are NOT always fuzzy
locations.  There are three types of exact sequence locations
 which in feature table notation are: 23, 34..55 and 46^47.  Respectively
Point, Range and Between locations.  The notation 46^47 (between 46 and 47)
is ESSENTIAL when you have clean insertions between residues and may not be
confused with the FUZZY location:  46^78, meaning: somewhere (not exactly
determined) between 46 and 78.

So I think the bug reported by Frederik Decouttere, that handled about these
EXACT between locations, should be fixed as soon as possible, because it has
nothing to do with 'rarely used' fuzzy locations.

Regards,
David