[Biojava-dev] Odd test failure (SymbolListCharSequence)

Keith James kdj at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Nov 4 08:42:40 EST 2003

    Thomas> Hi...  I'm currently seeing test failures for
    Thomas> SymbolListCharSequence:

[...]

Sorry. It seems I ran the tests on the wrong checkout - I was just
looking at the green bar... doh!

    Thomas> SymbolListCharSequence doesn't have equals and hashCode
    Thomas> methods.  I've just looked at the javadoc for
    Thomas> CharSequence, and Sun specifically say that there isn't a
    Thomas> special contract for equals and hashCode on CharSequences.
    Thomas> So we've got two options:

    Thomas>   - Fix SymbolListCharSequence by implementing equals.  -
    Thomas> Fix the test so that it no longer uses equals to compare
    Thomas> arbitrary CharSequences.

    Thomas> The first option is arguably the most helpful, the second
    Thomas> is probably more correct.  Any preferences?

I guess the "correct" way will present fewer surprises, but I'll fix
whichever the majority vote is for.

Keith

--

- Keith James <kdj at sanger.ac.uk> Microarray Facility, Team 65 -
- The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, UK -