[Biojava-dev] *-1.4 dirs in CVS

Thomas Down thomas at derkholm.net
Thu Jun 19 11:34:31 EDT 2003

Once upon a time, Rhett Sutphin wrote:

> I committed the Chromat2Image sample class (that I sent to biojava-l
> yesterday) into biojava-live under demos-1.4/chromatogram/.  Then I
> noticed that all the other subdirectories under demos-1.4/ are empty.
> I also noticed that build.xml (from CVS) doesn't seem to build from any
> of the 1.4 directories, though there are still properties defined for
> them.  This leads me to ask two questions:
>
> * Are there no longer different versions for 1.3 and 1.4?  I remember
> there being some discussion of this, but the 1.30 release announcement
> suggested that they would remain separate.  Should I put Chromat2Image
> in demos/chromatogram/ instead?

The 1.3x series (which has, for some time, now, been built of
the release-1_3-branch in CVS) will continue to support Java 1.3.
Future BioJava releases (from the CVS HEAD) will not.

This has been discussed in:

   http://biojava.org/pipermail/biojava-dev/2003-May/000589.html

and a few previous threads.

> * If there aren't different versions of 1.3 and 1.4, why are src-1.4,
> tests-1.4, and demos-1.4 still there?

As is so often the case, the answer is ``blame CVS''.  CVS doesn't
really do versioning of directories, and in particular there is
no way to delete a directory on the HEAD while preserving it
(and its contents) on the branch.

The best I can offer is to suggest you use the -P option when
doing CVS checkouts and updates, which causes it to ignore
empty directories.

     Thomas.

Subversion?  BitKeeper? (yes, I know the licence is horrid)
Anything but CVS!