[Biobiz] open source licenses - legal issues?

Tania Broveak Hide tania at egenetics.com
Mon Aug 11 17:50:41 EDT 2003

Sorry for responding so late to this post....

My understanding is that the bigger risk comes when folks who do not have
the explicit right to participate in open source projects do so.  For
example, when employees of organisations that claim full ownership of that
employee's intellectual property make contributions to open source projects
(which are within the course and/or scope of their work with their
employer).   The employer could claim that the employee did not have the
right to make the contribution.

I believe this is one of the issues raised when Steven Brenner suggested the
common open source friendly employment contract.  By having your employer
acknowledge your participation directly.  I am not aware of any particular
case law but in Steven's presentation from ORA Bio conference he states two:
  * UC Berkeley threatening to sue makers of open source software who were
acting nefariously
  * State of Georgia bringing criminal proceedings ($415K damages and up to
15 y in jail) against David McOwen for installing distributed.net's RC5
challenge
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/presentations/bio2002/5

I found an interesting site on the web, but haven't had a chance to dig into
much detail:
http://www.denniskennedy.com/opensourcelaw.htm
There is also a page on bioinformatics law, BTW.

So, nothing concrete, but hope it helps in any case!

Tania