[Open-bio-l] Submit your abstract to BOSC 2023 by April 20! 🍐

Nomi Harris nlharris at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 11:44:20 EDT 2023

Highlights
Submit <https://www.open-bio.org/events/bosc-2023/submit/> your 1-2 page abstract by April 20 (by the end of the day anywhere in the world). (Sorry, no extensions.)
You can request registration fee assistance right on the submission form!
We have two exciting Keynote Speakers <https://www.open-bio.org/events/bosc-2023/bosc-2023-keynotes/> lined up!
We are planning a Panel Discussion about Open and Ethical Data Sharing!
BOSC and Bio-Ontologies <https://www.bio-ontologies.org.uk/ismb-annual-meeting/2023-meeting> will join forces for a joint session on July 24 or 25.
We welcome our first sponsors <https://www.open-bio.org/events/sponsors/> (more coming soon): GigaScience <https://academic.oup.com/gigascience>, GeneVia <https://geneviatechnologies.com/>, and Software Sustainability Institute <https://www.software.ac.uk/>!

Keynote speakers

Sara El-Gebali <https://www.open-bio.org/events/bosc-2023/bosc-2023-keynotes/> (SciLifeLab-DataCentre-Sweden): “A New Odyssey: Pioneering the Future of Scientific Progress Through Open Collaboration.”

Joseph M. Yracheta <https://www.open-bio.org/events/bosc-2023/bosc-2023-keynotes/> (Native BioData Consortium): “The Dissonance between Scientific Altruism & Capitalist Extraction: The Zero Trust and Federated Data Sovereignty Solution

Abstract submission
We encourage you to submit abstracts <https://www.open-bio.org/events/bosc-2023/submit/> (due April 20 – sorry, no extensions) on any topic relevant to open source bioinformatics or open science (see topic list below). After review, some abstracts will be selected for lightning talks, longer talks, or posters. A second “late poster” round of submissions will end May 18.
Abstract submission is via ISMB’s EasyChair (linked from our submission page <https://www.open-bio.org/events/bosc-2023/submit/>). Note that ISMB requires a short (200-word) text-only abstract for all submissions (talk or poster), plus a “long abstract” (PDF, 2 pages max) if you want to be considered for a talk.

About BOSC
Since 2000, the Bioinformatics Open Source Conference <https://www.open-bio.org/events/bosc-2021/about/> has provided a forum for developers and users to interact and share research results and ideas in open source bioinformatics and open science.
As usual, BOSC 2023 <https://www.open-bio.org/events/bosc-2023/> will include keynote talks, longer and shorter (lightning) talks from submitted abstracts, posters, Birds of a Feather, and more! Like last year, BOSC and Bio-Ontologies <https://www.bio-ontologies.org.uk/ismb-annual-meeting/2023-meeting> will join forces for a joint session.

BOSC topics include (but are not limited to):
Open Science and Reproducible Research
Open Biomedical Data
Citizen/Participatory Science
Standards and Interoperability
Data Science
Workflows
Open Approaches to Translational Bioinformatics
Open Science for Global Health
Developer Tools and Libraries
Inclusion, Outreach and Training
Bioinformatics Open Source Project Reports (about new or existing projects)
Open and interoperable ontologies (joint session with Bio-Ontologies)

Registration fee assistance
We realize that the cost of ISMB may be prohibitive for some. If you are submitting an abstract to BOSC and would have difficulty covering the cost of registration, you can request to be considered for a registration fee waiver right on the abstract submission form (your request will not be seen by reviewers). Fee waivers are made possible by our sponsors <https://www.open-bio.org/events/sponsors/>.
Sponsors
We welcome the first Silver sponsors <https://www.open-bio.org/events/sponsors/> of BOSC 2023! If you’re interested in becoming a sponsor, let us know!
 <https://academic.oup.com/gigascience>     <https://geneviatechnologies.com/>     <https://www.software.ac.uk/>

Key Dates
April 20, 2023: Deadline for submitting talk/poster abstracts <https://www.open-bio.org/events/bosc-2023/submit/>
May 11: Talk/poster acceptance notifications
May 18: Late poster submission deadline
May 25: Late poster acceptance notifications
July 24-25: BOSC 2023 <https://www.open-bio.org/events/bosc-2023/> (part of ISMB/ECCB 2023 in Lyon, France, and online)
CollaborationFest <https://www.open-bio.org/events/bosc-2023/obf-bosc-collaborationfest-2023/> (CoFest) – July 22-23 (Lyon, France, and online)

Join our community!
Slack: https://join.slack.com/t/obf-bosc/shared_invite/zt-n5ur1gsj-z2C~69_4lYTFPg5tbWA8Ew
Twitter: @OBF_BOSC <https://twitter.com/OBF_BOSC>, #BOSC2023
Mastodon: https://genomic.social/@BOSC
Website:  <https://www.open-bio.org/wiki/BOSC_2019>https://www.open-bio.org/events/bosc/

We look forward to reading your abstract and seeing you (in person or virtually) at BOSC 2023!
Sincerely,
BOSC 2023 Organizing Committee (Nomi Harris, Karsten Hokamp, Hervé Ménager, Monica Munoz-Torres, Deepak Unni, Jason Williams, Chris Fields, Jessica Maia, Radhika Khetani)