[Open-bio-l] OpenID working again

Andy Jenkinson andy.jenkinson at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Apr 19 09:48:09 UTC 2013

>>> Over on root-l we're looking at updating MediaWiki for all the
>>> OBF hosted wikis as part of getting OpenID working properly.
>>
>> Yes I know, but I'm not sure if that will actually fix the spam problem?
>> And are there any captcha settings we can tweak in the meantime?
>
> The idea is that account creation requires OpenID, which is more
> hassle for spammers to go though, and should throttle them.

What was it that was fixed yesterday, manual account creation or OpenID?

>> Every now and again I spend an awful lot of time deleting pages
>> and blocking accounts, which is sadly all rather pointless if they
>> can create new ones.
>
> I've had days wasted on wikis like that too - although not recently.

Yes there has been no spam on BioDAS since August, which I had associated with the login not working properly.

> Maybe we should go for moderation to create new accounts on
> the BioDAS wiki and any others being hit hard by spammers?

Yes that could work if done manageably, but with there being 31 accounts created within 7 hours this morning, I'm not particularly keen on getting all those emails!

> The OBF are also interested in moving the wikis to a hosted
> solution - even paying someone else has some appeal. One
> option is to use GitHub's wiki - since most of the Bio* projects
> now use GitHub for their repositories.

Hopefully the porting can be automated...