[Open-bio-l] OBDA redux?

Hamish McWilliam hamish.mcwilliam at bioinfo-user.org.uk
Thu Dec 15 22:01:17 UTC 2011

> Just a quick update on this: the old OBDA specs were still in CVS in the obda-specs module (the old obda site had the module wrong).  I ran git cvsimport on that after I copied the CVS repo to my laptop, so it's now on github:
>
> https://github.com/OBF/OBDA
>
> We could probably work on updates from there.

At the risk of derailing the current thread... a few comments on the
"modules" in the old ODBA:

- BioCorba: while CORBA may live on in some embedded applications it
has mostly been replaced by SOAP and REST web services. I suspect
there are few copies of the BioCorba IDLs surviving today. Possibly of
historic interest, but since it doesn't actually include the IDLs it
is not really of any use.

- biofetch: originally implemented in EBI's dbfetch, also implemented
by BioRuby as biofetch which had a few extensions. EBI's dbfetch has
since been reimplemented and attempts to be compatible but only
provides partial support along with various extensions, including
those from BioRuby. See http://www.ebi.ac.uk/Tools/dbfetch/syntax.jsp.
I'm aware of client support in BioPerl, BioRuby and EMBOSS, not sure
of the current status for BioJava and BioPython.

- BioSQL: as you all know over at http://www.biosql.org/. The document
should probably be updated to point there.

- bioindex: the flat-file and BDB indexing formats. To which the
SQLite option will be added?

- naming: obsolete URN scheme. Various ontologies (e.g. EDAM) provide
possible replacements when required.

- bioregistry: database discovery and meta-data. From having tried to
implement this, the bioregisty is too limited in the available
meta-data to be very useful, especially when it comes to data format
handling. Compare with the database definitions in EMBOSS
(http://emboss.sourceforge.net/docs/themes/Databases.html) and the
dbfetch meta-data
(http://www.ebi.ac.uk/Tools/dbfetch/syntax.jsp#Meta-information).

- XEmbl: REST and SOAP access to EMBL-Bank entries in XML. The EBI's
XEmbl service was replaced by the dbfetch
(http://www.ebi.ac.uk/Tools/dbfetch/) and WSDbfetch
(http://www.ebi.ac.uk/Tools/webservices/services/dbfetch) services,
since these provide roughly the same functionality with wider data
format support.

Since I've been attempting to get dbfetch to support the biofetch and
bioregistry specifications, my interest is much more at the web
service end of things. I can certainly see options for using the
current alternatives in dbfetch and EMBOSS to revise the
specifications for biofetch and bioregistry.

Hamish