[Open-bio-l] Codefest 2010 plans: July 7 and 8th

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Thu May 27 18:51:46 UTC 2010

Hi all;
Things are moving forward smoothly with plans for Codefest 2010,
scheduled for July 7 and 8th -- the Wednesday and Thursday before
BOSC and ISMB:

http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Codefest_2010

The ISMB deadline for early registration is tomorrow, so it's a
great opportunity to start getting ourselves organized for the two
days of coding.

The focus is on two broad areas: cloud computing and semantic web.
On the cloud computing side, I've been putting together a general
configuration environment we can work collaboratively on, and
wrote up the current state here:

http://bcbio.wordpress.com/2010/05/08/automated-build-environment-for-bioinformatics-cloud-images/

This framework could provide us with plenty to do for the two days:
extend the library and program coverage, provide Debian/Ubuntu ports
for packages, write new user documentation, start thinking about
common EBS stores for re-usable data, and much more.

For semantic web work, the plan is to extend work done at
BioHackathon 2010:

http://hackathon3.dbcls.jp/

Toshiaki and Mitsuteru -- feel free to chime in with specific ideas
and thoughts for the two days. Edit away on the wiki to provide more
information.

This is meant to be fun and fit your interests, so feel free to
suggest other areas you think would be cool and try and build
support. To avoid having to e-mail tons of people, I suggest
discussing things on the OpenBio general mailing list:

http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/open-bio-l/

Beyond coding, there will be backyard BBQ and beers on Thursday
night so don't plan a 7am talk on Friday.

Let us know definitely if you are coming, and chime in with
thoughts and ideas. The more organized we can get, the more we'll
be able to accomplish. Looking forward to seeing everyone in a month,
Brad