[Open-bio-l] Fwd: [Utilities-announce] NCBI Revised E-utility Usage Policy

Peter peter at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 16:13:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Chris Fields wrote:

> Let's play devil's advocate.  The best way I can think of to
> describe this is to lay out a possible scenario.  Suppose an
> end user (out of possibly thousands of end users, scattered
> across many IPs) uses one of the eutils modules/classes where
> the tool is set but the email isn't (our current status).
> They set 'email' to their local one, and then proceed to
> somehow abuse NCBI's rules and are blocked.  In order to be
> reinstated, they will have to register both the tool and
> email with NCBI.  Until then, does this block anyone else
> with the same tool?  Just those from that IP?  Not clear at
> the moment.

I had understood that so far the NCBI just blocked by IP.
But only they know for sure, and it may change.

> To proceed further, now the user registers the tool and
> email (both need to be registered to unblock).  If I
> understand the eutils documents correctly, as stated, only
> one email (supposedly the software developers) is registered
> per tool (also supposedly the software developers).  The
> 'Bio*' tool name could end up being registered by anyone
> (wittingly or unwittingly), using their own personal email.

Ah. That is possible - although I had been assuming the NCBI
would be looking at the *combination* of tool+email, that
may not be the case.

> If another user uses the same tool name with a different
> email, would they be blocked?  If not, and that user tries
> to register as above (after subsequent abuse), would a
> conflict occur and they be notified of the prior
> registration?  Again, it's not clear what happens.

Indeed.

> We have until probably sometime in May to decide a course
> of action (June 1 is the enforcement date I believe), but
> this relies on NCBI clarifying a few things first.  The
> current documentation (at least to me) does seem to indicate
> that each tool must have a single corresponding email when
> registered.  Unless it is clarified, from my perspective
> the only safe course that addresses all concerns is to
> leave both tool and email unset, and then register a
> respective toolkit/email to keep it within the specific
> dev group as a safeguard.  That last bit is for many
> reasons I've already outlined; an additional one is the
> fact that we already have a default set for 'tool' now
> (and have had one set for a while), so by legacy anyone
> using older versions will have 'Bio*' preset already when
> June 1 hits.

Biopython has also been setting a default tool value
(with no default email) for some time.

> BTW, I don't consider the above scenario out of the realm
> of possibility, particularly if they truly intend on
> enforcing the rules this time around.  We've had many
> users who have asked the question 'how can I download
> my batch of 1,00,000 records via eutils'.  Potential
> lack of common sense doesn't stop the persistent or
> the desperate.

Agreed - sooner or later someone will do something silly
with the Bio* Entrez wrappers. Continuing to play Devil's
advocate, let's suppose we had a default tool and email
set. That *could* result in the NCBI blocking all users
of that Bio* toolkit running with this default tool+email
which would be a big problem (even if just for a day or
two while talking to the NCBI). Therefore I don't think
we should be setting a default tool+email (without
clarification from the NCBI).

> Right, but my point is there are no intermediaries,
> the news goes straight to the list.  We're not reliant
> on (possibly busy, possibly absent) developers for
> second-hand news.  We've been bitten by this before
> many times with NCBI, both with eutils and BLAST
> changes, a good many which NCBI announced but not
> passed on to our mailing list.
>
> Saying this now, it makes me wonder whether we should
> have a master list of some sort to gather such
> announcements that may impact developers (eutils,
> BLAST, GenBank/EMBL/UniProt releases, etc).

This is an excellent idea, but need not be linked to
any default email used for Entrez.

Peter