[Open-bio-l] Best practice for modelling data in GFF

Leighton Pritchard lpritc at scri.ac.uk
Tue Jul 6 14:29:35 UTC 2010

On 06/07/2010 Tuesday, July 6, 13:11, "Dan Bolser" <dan.bolser at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I see... I guess this only applies because of the specific 'is_a'
> relationship. i.e. just because a nose is part_of a face and a mouth
> is part_of a face, you can't make inferences about relationships
> between nose and mouth.

Sounds like you get it.  To extend that analogy you can infer things about
nostrils and earholes, such as that putting a biro in a nostril is valid,
whether it's a left_nostril or a right_nostril, because nostril is_a orifice
- and that's why you can stick a biro in your ear, as well ;)

> Thanks very much for taking the time to provide such a detailed reply,
> and sorry for the dumb questions.

They weren't dumb questions.  I recently had a similar issue where I was
wondering how to represent sub-parts of protein domains that span exons in a
chromosomal reference frame.  It didn't seem right to have them span an
intron, as they derive from the polypeptide, but the ontology terms don't
have explicit subfeatures.  Happily the polypeptide_region feature provides
enough flexibility to get around this.

Cheers,

L.

--
Dr Leighton Pritchard MRSC
D131, Plant Pathology Programme, SCRI

SCRI, Invergowrie, Dundee, DD2 5DA.
The Scottish Crop Research Institute is a charitable company limited by guarantee.
Registered in Scotland No: SC 29367.
Recognised by the Inland Revenue as a Scottish Charity No: SC 006662.

DISCLAIMER:

This email is from the Scottish Crop Research Institute, but the views expressed by the sender are not necessarily the views of SCRI and its subsidiaries.  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the intended recipient at the e-mail address to which it has been addressed.  It may not be disclosed or used by any other than that addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient you are requested to preserve this confidentiality and you must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way. Please notify postmaster at scri.ac.uk quoting the name of the sender and delete the email from your system.

Although SCRI has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, neither the Institute nor the sender accepts any responsibility for any viruses, and it is your responsibility to scan the email and the attachments (if any).