[Open-bio-l] Open Bio Wiki spamming

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 10 15:24:07 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Andy Jenkinson <andy.jenkinson at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
> The biodas wiki has tons, but not all visible - mostly user pages. I gave up doin
> anything about it unless I spot it on a page. You can do:
> http://www.biodas.org/w/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&days=30
>
> I'm not sure if the registrations are automated or not, but I suspect so. A better
> captcha would be very much appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Same here on the Biopython wiki: I've just reverted one spam page from
the weekend
which was probably a human vandal (single user account).

Subscribing to the RSS feed of wiki changes is a good way to stay on
top of this.

See also this ticket from May 2010, where from the volume of accounts
it did look
automated: [O|B|F Helpdesk #923] AutoReply: 100s of spam accounts
created on Biopython wiki

Peter