[Open-bio-l] open-bio URNs

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 12 13:14:36 EDT 2003

 --- Lincoln Stein <lstein at cshl.org> wrote:
> (1) I prefer the .org there, since we don't own
> open-bio.com

good point

> (2) Replace : with _ and / with -?
> 	Doesn't seem very attractive.  Is it the Mac HFS
> that doesn't
> 	like the : character?

mac uses : as the path seperator. windows uses it to
seperate the drive from the path (as in c:temp).
Windows uses \ as a path seperator, and unix uses /,
while in unix a leading . means 'hidden' but on
windows (and mac?) a flag is set in the file system to
indicate hiddenness. Not all file systems can escape
all characters without jumping through mind-beinding
escape-character hoops.

Actually, I wrote a simple xml file with the current
URNs and it isn't that hideous. I'll post that file
once I'm infront of a propper machine again.

> Lincoln

Matthew