[Open-bio-l] RE: [Bosc] BioSQL BoF at BOSC?

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 14:57:36 -0700

Great Jason. I like your magic hand :) I also hope you'll be on that BoF, too?

> Hopefully a BioSQL/OBDA BoF will accomplish some of this - but realize
> that most of that will probably be taken up explaining what
> the goals of
> the project are, what client/srv software is available, and what the
> vision of the next XX months is.  It will highlight the need for a
> white paper describing where we are and hope to go, more
> involvement by
> more individuals with diverse needs, and a project leader
> willing to lay
> down some tangible goals for us.  At least that is where I
> see what the
> project needs right now.

My goal for this BoF would be to lay the foundations for a definition, sure can be a white paper, of how to represent which biological data type in BioSQL - so that BioSQL-based applications can truely interoperate.

As for a Hackathon-like thing, I don't think that's terribly required at this time. What would be nice is a big enough whiteboard, functional markers, a digital camera, and maybe a laptop with a biosql installation so that one could reasonably quickly try out feasibility, or provide quick sample code along a how-to style. Also, it'd be helpful I think to make up use cases and write them up as actual SQL statements to see how monster-like they are and how well they could perform. To my feeling, what's missing yet from BioSQL is the user/use-case driving force in the XP spirit.

> We (BOSC committee) will do whatever we can to facilitate
> these types of
> interactions.  Let us know so we can try and make plans.
> We're planning
> on semi-private meeting space for BoFs in the evenings and
> wireless access
> throughout the meeting area so people can work and exchange ideas and
> information.  Now, I'm not sure that our internet connection
> and wireless
> setup will be running for the duration of ISMB - have to
> check with the
> onsite coordinator and what Chris D's plans are for the hardware.

Wireless internet would be really cool. This turned out to be really useful at PSB.

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org