[Open-bio-l] BioSQL schema: some questions

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 15:34:23 -0700

[...]
> > > 9) Why is there molecule in Biosequence (and not in
> Bioentry)? I.e.,
> > > would there be Biosequence entries of different molecule
> (mRNA, DNA,
> > > ...) for a particular Bioentry? If so, this is contradicted by the
> > > identifying relationship to Bioentry (there is a UK on the FK).
> >
> > pass; there was a thread on bioperl a while ago about
> molecule type vs
> > alphabet
> >

> molecule = where it came from (eg mRNA)
>
> alphabet = how it is encoded (DNA/RNA etc)

Shouldn't then molecule be an attribute of Bioentry? Likewise, shouldn't alphabet be added to Bioentry?

> > > 17) Aren't Dbxref.dbname and Biodatabase.name redundant?
> Shouldn't there
> > > be a FK?
> >
> > pass
> >

> Not dbref.dbnames will be biodatabase.name, in particular in
> things like
> swissport which going link-tastic v. quickly.

Sorry. I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp@gnf.org