[MOBY-l] BioXSD... 8 years later...

Dmitry Repchevsky dmitry.repchevski at bsc.es
Tue Jun 16 23:59:09 UTC 2009

> It seems to me that ANY project that requires people to agree on anything
> - at least, agreement at this level -  is unlikely to succeed, unless you
> have a very big stick, or an even bigger carrot!
I think we are doomed to support this one because it comes from EBI... :-\

> We cannot get interoperability without semantics.
Wrong... we can not do reasoning without semantics...

> Moving from moby to XML Schema is simply a step backwards...
I disagree... The only semantics Moby has is orthogonal to Moby format
itself, so in this case using Schema is to standardize the serialization
and fix web-services' part, keeping the ontology intact.

> I seldom agree on our world-view
...  :-)   I agree with your disagreement  ;-)  . There is no perfect
solution and in many cases I disagree with myself... :-D

> Personally, i think the sooner we stop using XML schema and start using
> OWL/RDF, the better!
This is one of the possibility, but in this case what to do with SOAP?
There is no way Web-services move to OWL anytime soon, SAWSDL is the
reasonable compromise (IMHO). Another possibility could be the REST, but
this means to reinvent the wheel in many senses. OWL itself yet to have
the formal description based on Schema (owl2).

Dmitry