[MOBY-l] need help in populating a simple DB with biomoby services

maliha aziz maliha.aziz at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 23:30:31 UTC 2007

Hello Dr Wilkinson :)
 nope noone answered but I figured out the packages and all... I just want to confirm the thought process and the LSID part... All services and all datatypes do have LSIDs right?  I need a unique primary key and LSID is my best shot here :)
One more question the "HAS" and "HASA" relationship types allow me to determine if there are multiple instances of the same datatypes i.e. whether it is a record or a bag... right?

I dont think (at the moment ) that implementing whether a datatype is a record list or a bag etc for biomoby in my project is realistic. I dont know maybe a lot of brain storming is needed for this part... (maybe i need to clear my own concepts on this part first)

Thanks

Maliha

Mark Wilkinson <markw at illuminae.com> wrote: Did anyone ever answer you?

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:19:07 -0700, maliha aziz
wrote:

> Hi
> the datatypes in biomoby are either
>
>    records or
>
>    sets (has only one instance of a particular child e.g. geneSNP that
> is composed of
>
>        aa_pos (HASA) => Integer
>        strain (HASA) => String
>        codon_ref (HASA) => String
>        aa_ref (HASA) => String
>        codon_var (HASA) => String
>        aa_var (HASA) => String
>        aa_change (HASA) => String)     or
>
>    bags ( allows repeat of the same instance within it .g DNA sequence
> Holder )
> correct?
>
> I have a simple Database that is composed of 5 tables
>
> The first table is called the "Concept class". It will hold the
> datatypes declared in biomoby and their LSID
> The Second table is called the "Concept structure". It will hold the
> information about the datatype itself whether it is a record , a set or
> a bag....
> the third table is the "Concept Components". This table would hold the
> child information i.e. for geneSNP datatype this table would hold
>    aa_pos (HASA) => Integer
>        strain (HASA) => String
>        codon_ref (HASA) => String
>        aa_ref (HASA) => String
>        codon_var (HASA) => String
>        aa_var (HASA) => String
>        aa_change (HASA) => String)
> LSID of each component would be stored along with other info.
>
> Now this takes care of the datatype. To look at the tool itself
> I have a table "Tools" that hold the information about the webservice
> registered in biomoby its name the LSID etc
> Another table called the "Tools_io" holds the information about the
> input and out puts of this particular tool . This is basically a
> relational entity between the Tools and the Concept compnents.
>
> My first question... Am I on the right track?
> About the concept structure table I would have to find out
> programmatically myself whether the datatype is a record or a set or a
> bag by looking at the LSIDz right? (does a simple string have a LSID?)
> Secondly , right now I have just downloaded the webservices in a simple
> file from biomoby so am not really sure if  this is going to work
> although the work is pretty simple. It is the biomoby end that is a bit
> confusing.
> If I download the datatypes and populate the Concept table and then
> venture towards downloading the tools themselves Can I link the
> datatypes with the tool IO through the LSID?
> Could someone tell me what packages am I looking at over here while
> tryin to accomplish this.
>
> There is one thing missing here and that is the declaration of Tools_IO
> to be collections or enumerated etc at the time of declaring the tool. I
> still have to figure that out
>
> I would be really grateful if someone could help me out in this... :)
>
> regards
>
> Maliha

Mark Wilkinson
Assistant Professor, Dept. Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia
PI Bioinformatics
iCAPTURE Centre, St. Paul's Hospital
Tel:  604 682 2344 x62129
Fax:  604 806 9274

***CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE***
This electronic message is intended only for the use of the addressee and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication by
unauthorized individuals is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply
e-mail and delete the original and all copies from your system.