[MOBY-l] [MOBY-dev] A message to ensure transparency

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Sat Jan 27 00:02:19 UTC 2007

Hi both,

I had considered these scenarios also.  We can likely distinguish a call
 from Dashboard (many calls over a very short time) from calls that reflect
someone designing or running a service.  Even then, the retrieveService
call isn't always made by the client software... in fact, I believe Eddie
told me that the Java libraries don't use the WSDL documents that MOBY
Central generates, so they likely don't make a retrieveService call *at
all*, which means that we can't track those usages.

Still... even if we can only track the usages from gbrowse_moby, it's a
start :-)

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 15:19:40 -0800, Paul Gordon <gordonp at ucalgary.ca>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was just about to say the same thing (assuming you meant "poor", not
> "pure").  Seahawk caches findService calls, and make findService calls
> for data that isn't used (depending on the choice the user makes).  To
> study this well, you need to embed this tracking in a client program.
>> Hi,
>>
>> I do not see any problem with privacy, it is not my cup of tea, anyway.
>>
>> But I would like to mention that the findService() requests do not need
>> be done at all when somebody calls a service, and - vice-versa -
>> many/many
>> times a findService() request is done when Dashboard local cache is
>> updated,
>> without calling any service at all. What I am saying is that the
>> findService() is a pure way how to measure service calls.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Martin

Mark Wilkinson
Assistant Professor, Dept. Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia
PI Bioinformatics
iCAPTURE Centre, St. Paul's Hospital

***CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE***
This electronic message is intended only for the use of the addressee and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication by
unauthorized individuals is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply
e-mail and delete the original and all copies from your system.