[MOBY-l] Multiple Centrals on Same server

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Mon Feb 12 03:29:24 UTC 2007

As far as I know, nobody has ever tried this, so you are breaking new
ground (and as someone new to MOBY, that might not be the easiest thing to
do :-) )

But the answer to your question is that you can only run one instance of
MOBY Central per instance of the Apache server.  You can run multiple
instances of Apache, each with their own config file, where each config
file points to a different mobycentral.config file.  On the client side
(in Perl, I don't know about Java) you can create an instance of
MOBY::Client::Central that connects to two different MOBY Centrals by name
(you create the name when you assign the URL during creation of the
object), and you have to specify the name of the MOBY Central you are
addressing when you make your MOBY Central call using the "Registry =>
"somename"" parameter.

Some MOBY::Client::Central calls don't allow you to address more than one
registry.  In particular, ones that involve registration of new objects,
service types, or namespaces.  That's because the ontologies are assumed
to be canonical, and can only exist in one place -
mobycentral.icapture.ubc.ca - if you create your own registry and chose to
run your own ontologies there is NO guarantee that you will continue to be
interoperable with any other services in the world.

Having said that, for other calls (like findService and registerService)
you should be able to run as many registries as you wish.

... caveat emptor... I don't think anyone has EVER tried to do this, so
the code might not work...