[MOBY-l] text-plain and text_plain

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Mon Aug 20 20:48:37 UTC 2007

Ugh...  Appendicitis!

At some point someone registered text_plain when text-plain already
existed... after that, people discovered one or the other and started
building inheritence trees from both of them.

As a community, we have agreed to use hyphens.  We are supporting the
underscores only until there are no longer any services that utilize those
nodes or their children. At that point, we will prune that node off
completely :-)

So... please use hyphens preferentially.

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:22:01 -0700, Michael DiBernardo
<mikedebo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am peeking curiously at the types "text_plain" and "text-plain" in
> the Objects ontology. (One uses an underscore and the other uses a
> dash, if you weren't able to see the difference straightaway).
>
> Roughly 130 types in the Objects ontology derive from text-plain,
> while roughly 50 derive from text_plain. What is the reasoning behind
> this division, if any? Is this just a common typo/formatting issue
> that we haven't gotten around to dealing with yet? I would classify
> this as a pretty substantial annoyance, since it appears to make many
> compatible services appear incompatible with one another.
>
> Is there anything I might be able to do straightaway that could
> contribute to fixing this, if it indeed needs fixing?
>
> -Mike

Mark Wilkinson
Assistant Professor, Dept. Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia
PI Bioinformatics
iCAPTURE Centre, St. Paul's Hospital
Tel:  604 682 2344 x62129
Fax:  604 806 9274

***CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE***
This electronic message is intended only for the use of the addressee and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication by
unauthorized individuals is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply
e-mail and delete the original and all copies from your system.