[MOBY-l] Request for BioMoby support letters

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Thu Aug 9 21:30:21 UTC 2007

Hi all Mobyers!

I'm about to submit a grant proposal to Genome Canada with the plan to
build 'Moby-2'.  This is similar to Moby, but much more tightly integrated
with semantic web technologies and especially with query tools like SPARQL
and with DL reasoners.

Effectively, the idea is that we can execute BioMoby-like services (that
consume/generate RDF) inline with SPARQL queries and/or as part of OWL
reasoning; the query is resolved after the required services are
discovered and executed.  This allows you to pose queries over data that
does not exist at the time you constructed the query - the data
"automagically" becomes available as a result of the question you asked.
One could also think of it as query-based workflow construction, or
model-is-workflow in the case of OWL.

I just got the preliminary reviews back and they were wonderfully
positive!  (thanks to anyone out there who was a reviewer!)

The primary concern from the reviewers was that I cannot prove that there
will be "uptake" of this technology by any end-users.  So that brings me
to the point of this message.

I'm wondering if any of you would be willing to provide letters of support
for this grant proposal.  In particular, the letter should say something
to the effect that you are a user of BioMoby, and are looking forward to
using this next-generation of Moby technology.  The letter should also
state who you are, what organization you represent, and what you use Moby
for.

I'm sorry for the late notice, but I need supporting letters before the
end of the day on Tuesday the 14th!  Email is fine, but a signed fax or
PDF is better :-)  The more letters I get, the more convincing my
arguments will be!

Contact details are below.

Thanks to everyone for your support!

Mark

Mark Wilkinson
Assistant Professor, Dept. Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia
PI Bioinformatics
iCAPTURE Centre, St. Paul's Hospital
Tel:  +1 604 682 2344 x62129
Fax:  + 1604 806 9274

***CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE***
This electronic message is intended only for the use of the addressee and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication by
unauthorized individuals is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply
e-mail and delete the original and all copies from your system.