[MOBY-l] Comments from recent Taverna/services demo

Twigger Simon simont at mcw.edu
Thu Jun 16 15:46:38 UTC 2005

Hi there,

Just thought I'd share some of the comments I heard from our lab
folks following a taverna/webservice demo I just did. I expect these
are not new to most people but they do represent barriers to
potential users of this technology that we need to actively address
so I thought a quick reminder/discussion wouldnt hurt.

Provenance:
How do we know what data a service is running on, what version of an
algorithm, what parameters its using, when the database was last
updated, etc?

This seemed to be the biggest concern - not knowing what was going on
under the hood and having no way to find it out. Workflows and
services provide great ways to automate things but theres a distrust
of the 'black box' that this creates. From a MOBY perspective, if we
could somehow enforce the provision information block so that service
providers had to fill in something sensible for the service
(algorithm version, database version, date last updated, etc.) this
could be a very good selling point. "Use MOBY services where possible
because at least then you can get a list of what went on in your
workflow, what databases were searched, etc." Some sort of report at
the end of a taverna workflow that compiled all this provision data
into a human readable document would be great.

In reality, this is the same as getting data off a website - how do
you know what's going on? Good websites tell you what algorithm and
database they use, others dont. I suspect people are more familiar
and hence more trusting of websites and havent yet got comfortable
with webservices/workflows so the level of (blind?) trust isnt there.

Input's and Outputs - How do I know what data I should pass in?
Again, MOBY is nice in that it defines the objects and should
ameliorate a lot of these problems but joining the dots is harder
than it should be, particularly outside of MOBY-land.

Make it even easier to use
"Is taverna something even I could use?", "I got lost with all these
service options"

Drag and drop, connect the dots services seems pretty straight
forward but it may still be too much for your average (or even above
average) lab scientist. How have other people found this technology
has been accepted? A web front end to all these services and
workflows seems to be one of the best ways we could get this
technology in use by the largest number of people.

I'd love to hear any comments/thoughts about these issues from others.

Cheers,

     Simon.

--

Simon N. Twigger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Physiology