[MOBY-l] everything should be functional again now... touch wood

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Thu Jul 7 12:59:35 UTC 2005

Hi,

On 6-Jul-2005, at 11:44 PM, Mark Wilkinson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Well, everything should be functional again now.  I've updated the
> links
> on the tools page to point to their new installations and everything
> seems to be alive.

<-- snip -->

> Thankfully, we are moving toward a mirroring architecture, so this
> wont
> happen again once we get there...

For those of you who are interested in having a local BioMOBY
Central: I've just added
moby-live/Perl/scripts/CloneCentralDatabases.pl
to the CVS. Might be especially handy when you want to test scripts
to register stuff. If you are not satisfied with the result you can
simply use this script to nuke your existing MOBY Central clone and
create a fresh one. If you put something like this in a crontab you
might have quick and dirty mirroring system. But won't take care of
load balancing, automaic failover etc. Moreover it won't scale well
when MOBY gets big, but for the moment being it does the job for
me :). It replaces the steps from the manual listed below.

Cheers,

Pieter

SET UP ALL MOBY CENTRAL DATABASES
start mysql as root
create databases:
mobycentral
mobyobject
mobynamespace
mobyservice
mobyrelationship

CREATE A USER FOR THE MOBYCENTRAL DATABASES (must have write access
to all).
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON [each database] TO moby_central at localhost
identified by "*********";
exit mysql
foreach (databasename) you need to load a mysql DUMP. Either a
bootstrap dump from the /Database folder of the CVS, or a dump from
the public MOBY Central registry.
mysql -u moby_central -p databasename< ~/moby-live/Database/
databasename.mysql
NOTE: The database dumps in the /Database folder of the CVS contain
the bootstrap objects and services (primitives, base objects, base
services, relationship types, etc) so you should be ready to roll
right away. If you prefer a full dump of the existing MOBY Central
database, call the method $C->DUMP on MOBY::Client:Central, or call
the procedure "DUMP" on the public MOBY Central's SOAP interface.

> --
> Mark Wilkinson
> Asst. Professor
> Dept. of Medical Genetics
> University of British Columbia
> PI in Bioinformatics
> iCAPTURE Centre
> St. Paul's Hospital
> Vancouver, BC

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1038
Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen