[MOBY-l] Re: [MOBY-dev] lease versus agent for registry updating

Paul Gordon gordonp at ucalgary.ca
Wed Aug 17 16:16:45 UTC 2005

>>Alternatively, you pass back some magic cookie when the lease is taken
>>out in the first place, that is required for deregistration.
>>

>   Well, this is exactly what biomoby has now - and nobody seems to like
>it. That's why we are talking how to change it.

Absolutely.  Keeping a cookie around somewhere for a month, then
manually using it to renew the lease (remember, automating the lease
renewal is just as bad as having an RDF file that you need to change) is
bad.  If I lose my cookie, or it is intercepted, I'm toast.

>   So the above would work only if I can prove who I am. And the only way
>how to do it (if we do not want to introduce passwords etc.) is to let
>somebody come back to my place (because only I can control such a
>place). That means an agent...

Exactly my point from before about multiple host names/machine.  You
should only be able to advertise a service available in MOBY from the
ucalgary.ca domain if you are able to put an RDF document on a web
server in that domain.  It's a security check of sorts.  I don't see how
a lease-only system could easily acheive this without some signing
certificates, and in fact I could prevent the NCBI from registering
services by doing it first and getting the cookie they need to fix the
registry.  If we can add a "push" like method to the registry saying
"check my RDF ASAP", and maybe an optional expiry for people who like
leases (the default would be turf the service if the test case fails
repeatedly) we should have the best of both worlds...