[MOBY-l] Re: [moby] Re: [MOBY-dev] lease versus agent for registry updating

Tom Oinn tmo at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Aug 15 09:51:26 UTC 2005

Phillip Lord wrote:

>   Mark> We're certainly of like-mind at this end, though certain
>   Mark> people ;-) at myGrid think that the agent is the wrong way to
>   Mark> go... I just don't see it.  IMO a leasing model would be akin
>   Mark> to leasing space in Google!
>
> The lease is the more common idiom, I think. I don't think that there
> is a huge difference. My main criticism of the agent is that there
> does not seem to be a different connection between the agent poll and
> the service being available.

Much as I hate* to agree with Phil I, um, do :) Seems to me that the
agent approach is more part of a monitoring framework than a registry, I
don't know offhand whether we're planning to include metrics such as
service liveness and response times as transient metadata in the
registry but that's where I'd see agents fitting in rather than in the
initial registration.

Tom

* it's all an act but hey...