[MOBY-l] Biomoby and Taverna 1.2

markw at illuminae.com markw at illuminae.com
Thu Aug 4 09:24:08 UTC 2005

Quoting Tom Oinn <tmo at ebi.ac.uk>:

> 1) It can be discovered as 'set of aligned sequences' as a single entity.
>
> 2) It can also be discovered as a collection of 'sequence'
>
> As I understood it the collection / simple wasn't part of the ontology
> so this isn't possible?

You're correct, and that is a good point!

I think that the semantics you lose by making them a simple bag of sequences is
more important than the flexibility of service-discovery that you gain.  This is
why we (Eddie) is working on MOBY Object degradation widgets for Taverna, such
that you strip away the outer "semantic" tag and are left with a collection of
sequences that could then trigger the latter discovery that you mention above.

I don't think we can achieve both situations in one step, unless we defined a
parent class "genericSequenceCollection"... but then we would have to do that
for all Object classes and our bicycles would explode!