[MOBY-l] Biomoby and Taverna 1.2

Rebecca Ernst rebecca.ernst at gsf.de
Thu Aug 4 08:50:34 UTC 2005

Mark wrote:
> Gosh... I *am* tired!

> I didn't mean to imply that....

> :-/

Hehe - it took me a while to get the meaning 'between the lines' ;-)

As you are in Manchestser we have the whole european day to discuss
about collections ;-) With Tom you can even chat sitting together if you
are so close ...

I was thinking about a way to tell you what my problem with this simple
and collection thing is and I'll give it a very last try with a trivial
example:

My favourite example to explain BioMoby services to non- informatics
people is that I am a service provider running a laundry. Incoming
objects are dirty laundry, out go clean clothes.

In your way of interpreting services the man in the laundry gets the
information that you are either always bringing exactly 3 shirts to wash
or you are bringing a not known number of shirts (one time you bring 2,
the next time 15 shirts but it's *always* only  shirts)

What I am saying is that it *can't* be of any use to this guy to know
how many shirts you'll bring - he will have to wash all of them, one by one.

But if someone is bringing three complete outfits belonging together (a
jacket, a trouser, a shirt and socks ) I need to take care about this
relationship and put them back together before giving it back.

Does this make sense to you??

Rebecca

markw at illuminae.com wrote:

>Quoting markw at illuminae.com:
>

>>Granted, I would rather be in bed, but neither Eddie nor I are in Vancouver
>>so
>>it would be inappropriate :-)
>>

>Gosh... I *am* tired!
>
>I didn't mean to imply that....
>
>:-/

Rebecca Ernst
MIPS, Inst. for Bioinformatics
GSF Research Center for Environment and Health
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
fon: +49 89 3187 3583
email: Rebecca.Ernst at gsf.de